We are a community chosen by God to follow, reflect, celebrate, and testify to Jesus, our risen Lord and Savior. This calls us to sacrifice, and to put first things first - to prize being over doing, service over being served, in everything we do to be ministry-minded. We want everyone to taste and see that the Lord is good.
Ken Anderson, Pastor
Jehu Brabham, Administrator
Jenny Crutchfield, Children's Minister
Gayle Garrett, Senior Adult Minister
Lisa Joyce, Minister of Discipleship and Planning
Billy Lott, Facilities Manager
Andrea Maloney, Preschool Director
Tommy Sparkman, Music Minister
Gary Ward, Activities Minister
Louis Zinc, Youth Minister
Shirley Dreding, Receptionist & Attendance Secretary
Donna Gordon, Music & Senior Adults Secretary
Theresa Smith, Pastor & Financial Secretary
P.O. Box 65 Clinton MS 39060
802 North Frontage Road, Clinton, MS 39056
From the first moment God’s hand touched a small group of praying people gathered in a tent meeting in May 1927, through 67 years of ministry on West Capitol Street, to a bright, new Horizon along Interstate 20 west in Clinton, the power and presence of God has been felt in a congregation called Parkway Baptist Church.
Parkway Baptist Church has always been the product of vision and prayer. For thirteen years, Ms. Ann Latimer prayed for the establishment of a church on the west edge of Jackson. In nearby Crystal Springs, god laid on the heart of a busy preacher the burden of a great mission opportunity. Turning his back on the already-accepted call of a city church, Rev. J.P. Harrington began a tent meeting on the West Capitol site in May 1927.
From the tent meeting in May, a church was organized on Sunday, July 3, 1927. There were 55 charter members. For 15 months all church services, Sunday School, B.Y.P.U. and W.M.U. meetings were held in a little adjacent school house, the Eureka School.
On September 16, 1928, Parkway celebrated the completion of the first educational unit at the West Capitol location. For thirteen and one-half years this building provided space for the worship auditorium on the second floor and classrooms on the first and third floors.
After the resignation of Rev. Harrington in June 1938, the church called Rev. W.A. Bell, pastor at Ruleville, who began his ministry at Parkway on October 16, 1938. As the community grew, the growth of the church made significant strides both in membership, in financial stewardship, and in physical facilities.
Work on a new sanctuary began in April 1940. Built of crème-colored brick in modified Gothic architecture, this building seated 800, including the choir loft and balcony. Formal dedication was April 12, 1942. During Dr. Bell’s ministry, the Parkway Church Library was established in 1943 with the gift of 1150 volumes by the Hederman sons in honor of their parents.
During 1946 a contract was let and construction started on a two-story education building later named the Harrington Building. This structure, the first of its king in the Southern Baptist Convention designed and constructed solely for the use of adult members, was completed and occupied on September 28, 1947.
On December 1, 1946, Parkway’s third pastor in twenty years began his ministry. Dr. G. Norman Price came from the pastorate of First Baptist Church of Indianola. Building on the solid foundations already laid, and faithfully assisted by able and loyal leadership and membership from all departments of the church’s life, Parkway’s growth and expansion continued with steady and gratifying progress along all lines. In August 1951, 1 youth building, the Bell Building was constructed. That same year, two morning services were established as a part of Parkway’s Sunday program. Two additional significant events during Dr. Price’s pastorate included the opening of the Parkway Kindergarten in 1951 and the construction of a three story preschool and children’s building in 1957.
Dr. Bill Causey became Parkway’s fourth pastor in September 1963. During his tenure as pastor, Parkway became one of the leading churches annually in Mississippi in baptisms, initiated a Wednesday “family night” program which included a meal, prayer meeting, and various other organizational meetings such as children’s choirs, missions, and adult choir. A sixth major building, the Activities Building, was completed in 1967, providing a full-sized gymnasium, game room, and full scale kitchen facilities. The kindergarten was expanded to include a program of day care for children of working parents. Along with buildings, a very vital bus ministry and prayer ministry were also initiated.
In 1978, the “Together We Build” campaign was launched and reached fruition with the completion of a 2.6 million dollar building project. This project included a new 1,500-seat auditorium, a two-story office/music building, additions to the Activities Building, and other property to accommodate these new facilities and provide additional parking.
In an effort to meet the needs in an ever changing and growing city, Parkway launched many new ministries in order to touch the lives of people for Jesus Christ. Two key ministries were the bus ministry and media ministry.
In June 1990, Rev. Ken Anderson became the fifth pastor in Parkway’s history. During the early nineties, Parkway continued to use innovative programming and ministries to meet the challenges of a changing neighborhood and city. During this period of time, a special Long-Range Planning Committee began to earnestly seek God’s divine leadership as to the future direction of Parkway Baptist Church.
Sensing the undeniable power and presence of God’s hand, the congregation of Parkway voted on October 3, 1993, to purchase 46 acres located along Interstate 20 frontage road in Clinton. Six months later, on April 10, 1994, Parkway voted to sell its West Capitol property and enter into an agreement with Mississippi College, which would serve as a transitional site for Parkway’s services and ministries.
During 1995, Parkway initiated a three million dollar “Building Upon A New Horizon” Campaign. The culmination of this building fund campaign was realized in September, 1996, with the dedication of a multi-use worship and recreation area, administrative office space, a two story education building, and adequate parking for the growing Parkway Family.
On Tuesday, November 23, 1999, at the annual Praise and Thanksgiving Service it was announced that as a result of the faithful and generous giving of the Parkway family, the mortgage debt on our new facility was paid in full, and Parkway was completely debt free.
Experiencing the need for additional space for its educational, music, food service, youth, college and other ministries, Parkway launched its “Building On Our Knees” campaign in the spring of 2002. A two-story education building and modern children’s play yard was completed and occupied in the fall of 2003.
Parkway’s location may have changed, but the power and presence of God has been quite evident at Parkway, both past and present. For over 80 years, Parkway has been a beacon of light and hope to the Metro area. As we look expectantly toward the future, we claim God’s promise that “Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."